Moving to the Joyent Cloud
Thank you for your interest in Joyent Training Services.
Duration: 1 day
This course is aimed at administrators, operators, and users who are moving their applications from another cloud vendor to the Joyent cloud. The course covers how to get things done on the Joyent cloud, from both a system administrator’s view, as well as from the view of someone who needs to port an application running on some other cloud to Joyent. The course accomplishes this by going through some example applications, showing the techniques and strategies needed to do a port, and contrasting the different ways that alternate cloud providers and Joyent accomplish the same things.
On completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify similarities and differences between running software on their current cloud environment and on Joyent.
- Explain the differences between SmartMachines and Virtual Machines.
- Size SmartMachines/Virtual Machines for their applications.
- Understand available datasets, and how/when to deploy them.
- Create new datasets and provision them(?)
- Use pkgsrc to add software to a SmartMachine.
- Describe techniques and strategies for porting applications running on other OSes to SmartMachines.
- Describe architectures for implementing high availability/fault tolerance in your applications on the Joyent cloud.
- Unix fundamentals course or equivalent Unix knowledge/experience
- Introduction to SmartDataCenter, SmartMachines, and Virtual Machines
- Sizing memory, disk, and CPU
- Differences between Linux and SmartOS
- Overview of available datasets and their contents
- pkgsrc packages (and how to create new ones?)
- Building applications from existing source
- Building for high availability/fault tolerance
See course calendar
Training Course Request Form
Thanks for your interest in training from Joyent!
Please use this form to let us know what courses you might like to attend or see added to the schedule. We will contact you to get more details on how we can meet your training needs.